Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What's Your Story: The Phantom Tollbooth

Our second assignment was to create three narrative images based on a novel, mythological tale, poem, etc. And then we had to integrate words/layouts into the narrative images.
I chose The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's one of my childhood favorites, and I think the book gives alot of freedom to go crazy/have fun with the imagery.



With this assignment, I really wanted to gain some experience with watercolor. However, I find that watercolor doesn't naturally fit with the way I work (it's not very forgiving either). But I definitely had better control of it by the second piece. In the end, the piece is Watercolor + Acrylic + hints of gouache + Digital.

Assignments like these also remind me of how much I respect graphic designers. Text is difficult to work with, and I was really confused as to where to take it. Originally I had "place-holder" text. But MJ recommended that I have more exciting text, especially since the entire book is so playful with words, knowledge, and concepts involving education.
I'm still not sure how I feel about the text, but it'll be alright for now :]

No comments: